This recipe for Vegan Creamy Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Broccolini is made with wholesome and simple ingredients. The sauce is buttery, creamy, and a little bit cheesy. Fettuccine paired with nourishing roasted vegetables makes the perfect recipe for a hearty, satisfying pasta dinner.
I made this recipe for the first time on a chilly Sunday afternoon. Butternut squash is one of my favorite vegetables to roast. It’s such a cozy vegetable with its sweet and nutty taste. The aroma in the kitchen while the vegetables are roasting is amazing and just thinking about it is making my mouth water right now.
How I know you’ll love this recipe:
- Roasted butternut squash, broccolini, and grape tomatoes. Something about roasting vegetables really makes the dish feel cozy and comforting. For this recipe, the butternut squash and broccolini are roasted together for about 20 minutes. In the last 5 minutes, add the grape tomatoes to the baking sheet. Once you start to hear the first few grape tomatoes burst open, that’s when you know the vegetables are ready.
- Fettuccine. Let’s talk about pasta shapes. Fettuccine means “small ribbons” in Italian which is why this type of pasta is shaped like long, flat ribbons. This type of pasta is so perfect for creamy sauces like the one in this recipe.
- Did I mention creamy? I’m sure you’ve heard of fettuccine alfredo before: a thick, creamy, cheesy sauce that wraps around each pasta ribbon as if they’re made for each other. The creamy sauce in this recipe is similar to that except the addition of thyme and basil makes this sauce more herby and inviting. Yum!
Creamy, buttery, vegan pasta sauce mixed roasted butternut squash, broccolini, and grape tomatoes. Tossed with fettuccine pasta and garnished with pumpkin seeds.
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 2.5 cups butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 2 cups broccolini
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk
- vegan parmesan to taste
- lemon juice to taste
- salt to taste
- pumpkin seeds for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Peel butternut squash and cut in half. Scoop out seeds and stringy bits. Cut into bite-sized cubes.
Roughly chop broccolini. Add butternut squash and broccolini to a baking sheet. Add olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until butternut squash and broccolini are tender. In the last 5 minutes, add grape tomatoes to the pan.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, add pasta. Boil until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, melt vegan butter over medium heat. Once hot, add chopped garlic and sauté until the garlic starts to brown, 2-3 minutes.
Add thyme, basil, and nutritional yeast and stir to combine. Stir in the flour, one tablespoon at a time. Cook for 1 minute.
Add vegetable broth and increase heat to bring the sauce to a low boil. Once boiling, decrease the heat back to medium and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce starts to thicken.
Add unsweetened plant milk and stir to combine. Taste and add salt to your preference.
Once the sauce is hot, toss in the roasted butternut squash, broccolini, grape tomatoes, and fettuccine. Serve immediately.
Top with vegan parmesan cheese and a quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
I made this and it was incredible! How many days do you think it’ll last in the fridge?
Glad you enjoyed this recipe! It will last a good 4-5 days in the fridge before it starts to get beyond its prime. Hope this helps!