This recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce is made with aromatic, sweet oven-roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, cashews, and shallots. It’s bursting with flavor because of the addition of herby fresh basil leaves and a splash of lemon juice. Adding vegetable broth makes the sauce the perfect creamy texture to smother on top of your favorite pasta. Make this sauce for a wholesome and vibrant pasta dinner.
Roasting red peppers in your oven is very easy to do. It requires only a few simple steps:
- First, wash and slice the red bell peppers lengthwise. Remove all the seeds and membranes inside. Discard the stem as well.
- Place the peppers cut-side down on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
- Bake at 425°F (220°C) for about 30-40 minutes. You’ll see the skins of the peppers start to char a little bit, this is when you know they are done.
- After the peppers are roasted, transfer them to a heat-safe bowl and cover with a towel. Let them steam for about 10-15 minutes, or until they are cool enough to handle.
- Once steamed, it should be easy to peel the skins off the peppers. Now, they are ready to blend into a creamy, dreamy, sauce with the addition of a few other ingredients.
How to make Roasted Red Pepper Pasta in less than one minute:
Find the recipe for this Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta Sauce below. Leave a comment if you make this or tag us on instagram @pastabased!
Creamy vegan pasta sauce made from roasted red bell peppers. A great alternative to tomato-based sauces. Easy and simple recipe perfect for any kind of pasta.
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 1/4 cup cashews
- basil leaves handful
- 1 pound pasta
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Slice red bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Add whole garlic cloves, chopped shallot, and cashews to the baking sheet. Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Once the red bell peppers are finished roasting, remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the peppers into a heat-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set aside until the peppers are cool enough to handle. Once cool, peel off the skins and discard them.
In a blender, add roasted red bell peppers, garlic cloves, shallot, cashews, basil leaves, vegetable broth, and lemon juice. Blend until well combined and creamy.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add preferred pasta and cook based on package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Heat blended red pepper sauce in a saucepan over medium heat. Combine with cooked pasta. Serve warm. Top with vegan parmesan and red pepper flakes. To store, cool and refrigerate for up to a week.