We have lived in Denver for over 4 years now and, as much as we like to cook at home, we also enjoy eating out. A lot of people ask about good vegan spots so we thought we can put together a comprehensive guide of restaurants that we enjoy going to.
We haven’t been to every vegan spot yet but we’re so excited about the vegan scene in Denver because it seems to be getting better all the time. More vegan options at restaurants, more vegetarian restaurants that have vegan options and substitutes, and more totally vegan restaurants too!
This guide contains both vegan restaurants but also some vegetarian and non-vegan restaurants that have great options to try. We like to think that ordering vegan options at restaurants sends a positive message to chefs and restaurant owners to keep making vegan options and also to add more.
This place is amazing. They have a huge ALL DAY breakfast menu to go with their great lunch and dinner options. There can be a short wait during prime-time (dinner, weekend brunch…), but it’s totally worth it. They have great coffee (ask for the lavender latté) and serve baked goods from their vegan bakery, “Make, Believe”. They also serve alcohol, including beer, wine, cider, cocktails and mimosas.
- CAULIFLOWER WINGS – crispy cauliflower tossed in Memphis BBQ or buffalo sauce
- BISCUITS & GRAVY – savory biscuits smothered with breakfast gravy, add scrambled tofu and crumbled barley sausage
- CUBAN SANDWICH – shaved smoky seitan with pepperoncinis, pickles, mustard, swiss cheese, and tofu bacon pressed into a hoagie.
Beet Box Bakery & Café
Beet Box is a small café right outside the heart of downtown with loads of delicious options. If you have a sweet tooth like me, they serve donuts, pastries, scones, cupcakes, and cakes. Savory options include made-in-house breads, savory quiches, a bangin’ breakfast sandwich and a variety of sandwiches for lunch. They also have great coffee and made-in-house creamy cashew milk.
- BREAKFAST SANDWICH – chickpea frittata, smoked tempeh and mushrooms, arugula, tomato, ranch sauce on a pressed bun
- THE ABC – beets, roasted almonds, cashew cream cheese, butter lettuce, whole-grain mustard
- BAKED DONUTS – all flavors (but really, the chocolate walnut is my jam)
- MADE-IN-HOUSE CASHEW MILK
Native Foods Café
This is a fast-casual vegan chain restaurant with locations in 4 states (California, Colorado, Chicago and Oregon). They serve salads, sandwiches, wraps, soups and desserts. They have a variety of signature plant-based proteins like their tempeh, seitan, ‘Native Chicken,’ ‘Native Bacon,’ and cashew cheese.
- BISTRO STEAK SANDWICH – thinly sliced and seared seitan steak, topped with house made tofu bleu cheese, oven roasted tomatoes, crispy shallots and arugula on a toasted baguette.
- MEATBALL SUB – Native Seitan meatballs, marinara sauce, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, pumpkin seed pesto, ranch dressing and parmesan, served on a grilled artisan baguette
- OATMEAL CREME PIE – whipped vanilla creme between two soft-baked oatmeal cookies
MetaBurger is the newest plant-based restaurant to hit the Denver vegan scene! It’s located in a strip mall in south Denver and serves up delicious plant-based burgers with satisfying sides like meta bites, fries, and ice cream shakes!
- GODFATHER BURGER – grilled mushrooms, caramelized onions, giardiniera, pesto, lettuce
- SUPERNOVA DOG – habanero jam, pickled jalapeños, cole slaw, pickled red onions
- META BITES – breaded baked potato bites with bacon and chives, served with nacho cheese
Make, Believe Bakery
Make, Believe bakery is a 100% vegan bakery that recently opened under the owners of WaterCourse Foods. They are a small bakery that specializes in allergy free baking. Their products are also available at Watercourse Foods and City O’ City (which is located right next door).
- CUPCAKES / MACARONS
Our Daily Bread Bakery & Deli
Our Daily Bread Bakery & Deli is a new vegan, restaurant in Lakewood serving fresh breads, sandwiches, baked goods, salad bar, and daily soup. They grind their own wheat and use no preservatives. Their menu is limited but it’s 100% vegan. They use Violife cheese for their sandwiches (they sell the cheese too). Other items include a Seitan Steak Sandwich, a Chicken-Less Sandwich, and an Eggplant Melt Wrap.
- BREAKFAST BURRITO – tofu scramble, peppers, onions, potatoes, salsa and vegan cheese in a whole wheat wrap
Nooch Vegan Market
Nooch Vegan Market is a small vegan grocery and retail store where you can find all kinds of 100% vegan items. It’s so fun to shop at Nooch because you don’t have to think twice about reading the ingredient list on any of the items. They are also very helpful and friendly when you come in. Most items you might be able to find at other shops but they also have unique, specialty items that you can’t find anywhere else. They have a small selection of grab-and-go breakfast + lunch food too! Pro tip: don’t forget to bring your own reusable shopping bag.
Vegetarian with Vegan Options
City O’ City
City O’ City is consistently packed and the wait can be long at prime times – which is understandable because they serve up some bangin’ eats. I believe everything can be made vegan when asked, and it’s all delicious. They have great breakfast and brunch to go with their lunch and dinner menus, and even serve late night from 11pm-2am EVERY DAY (even serving breakfast)! This is a must go place, so do not miss out if you have the chance.
This restaurant inspired our BEST tofu scramble – so if you can’t stand the wait, you can make it at home instead 🙂
- ‘WALDORF’ PIZZA – sliced apples, candied walnuts, arugula, cashew cheese (by request), and chili flakes with garlic infused olive oil
- CHICKEN & WAFFLES – waffle with bourbon-brined chicken-fried cauliflower
- ALL DAY BREAKFAST SANDWICH – tofu scramble, french fries, hot sauce aioli and cashew cheese (by request) on a toasted pretzel bun
Opened in 2016, an awesome new vegetarian restaurant in the highlands neighborhood. Situated on Tennyson St., Vital Root is surrounded by trendy restaurants and local shops. Order at the register and sit down in the artsy dining room or outside on the herb-decorated patio. Vital Root is a fairly new restaurant, opening its doors in June 2016, but it does not disappoint with its creative and healthy dishes. They have plenty of raw options and 99% of their menu can be made vegan. Be sure to check it out if you want something new and fresh, as they have some of the best salads out there.
- CLUB SANDWICH – avocado, chao cheese (by request), coconut ‘bacon,’ tomato, watercress, miso dijonaise
- RAW BEET RAVIOLI – cashew cheese, zucchini, celery root, radish, balsamic reduction, smoked sea salt, and hazelnut pea pesto
The Corner Beet
vegetarian / vegan-options / juice / coffee + tea / live music
1401 Ogden Street, Denver • hours*: 8a – 4p Mon-Wed ; 8-4p + 6-10p Thurs-Fri ; 9-3p + 6-10p Saturday ; Closed Sunday
website • happy cow • facebook • instagram
Specializing in cold-pressed juice, pressed fresh daily on a Norwalk juicer
also serving simple vegetarian & vegan fare. We have yet to try The Corner Beet but based on local reviews they have awesome juices, toasts, and salads.
There have been a couple awesome food trucks popping up around town that are focused on vegetarian or vegan cuisine. They usually park outside of various breweries and coffee shops in Denver. You can sometimes also find them at vegan/veg fests, Civic Center Park, or outside Nooch Vegan Market.
UPDATE: As of 11/1 WongWayVeg is 100% VEGAN! WongWayVeg is awesome! We are absolutely addicted to the Boulder Philly. They have 3 vegan dairy-alternatives you can substitute including Avocado-Cashew Cream, Smoked Almond Chipotle, and Nut-Free Zucchini Dill.
- BOULDER PHILLY – marinated portobello mushrooms, sautéed onions & peppers, roasted green chiles, and avocado-cashew cream (by request) on a toasted hoagie roll.
- BRAISED JACKFRUIT QUESADILLA – smokey braised jackfruit, roasted corn salad, choice of vegan cheese (by request) in a flour tortilla.
The first time we found the Vegan Van, they were completely sold out of food because of a huge rush of hungry vegans! We finally got to try their food this year at VegFest and it did not disappoint! You can find them parked around town and sometimes they even show up outside Nooch for vegan brunch.
Find out where you can track down the Vegan Van by visiting the calendar on their website: www.veganvan.com/calendar
- WING MY BELL – house-made seitan wings tossed in buffalo or bbq sauce, served with celery, carrots, and ranch
- WRAP ME IN YOUR ARMS – caesar salad and buffalo tofu wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla, served with hand cut fries
- DON’T BE A BRAT – housemade vegan brat topped with peppers and onions, served with chips
SOS Catering is the newest vegan food truck to join the ranks in Denver. Serving up plant-based comfort food, you can find SOS Catering all over the metro-Denver area. The first time I had SOS was at Civic Center Eats and let me tell you, they did not disappoint!
Find out where you can track down SOS by visiting the calendar on their website: www.soscatering.com/calendar
- CHEESE QUESADILLA – traditional cheesy quesadilla with a side of chips and salsa
Ba-Nom-a-Nom Treat Truck
NEW! We just find out about this vegan NiceCream truck but have yet to track it down. You can find their schedule here. Based on their Instagram photos, it looks delicious! We can’t wait to try Ba-Nom-a-Nom at VegFest this year.
*Hours may vary, check website to be sure. Last updated July 2017
Not vegan or vegetarian but have many vegan options
- Mellow Mushroom – Pizza
- Blue Sushi Sake Grill – Japanese, Sushi
- Yak and Yeti – Indian
- Scratch Burrito – American (can sub seasoned tofu for most burritos)
- Root Down – Good for Brunch, Mimosas, Tofu Scramble (same owner as Vital Root)
- Linger – Unlimited mimosas during brunch! Soyrizo. (same owner as Vital Root)
- Voodoo Donuts – Donuts (many vegan donut options)
- Sputnik – Dive-bar with a separate vegan menu
- Even Stevens – by Sloan’s Lake, a few delicious vegan options including a breakfast burrito
- Alamo Drafthouse – Movie theater that serves food and drinks while you’re watching the movie. Their menu has a separate section for everything vegan!