This Vegan Meatball Sub recipe is sure to bring a smile to your face on the first bite. Whether you call it a hero, grinder, sub, or hoagie – you won’t be disappointed tasting this delicious, wholesome sandwich.
This recipe makes a completely vegan meatball sub with tangy and juicy roasted campari tomatoes smothered in creamy cauliflower alfredo sauce. The “meatballs” in this sandwich are made from cauliflower and brown rice and fried or baked until lightly golden brown. Is your mouth watering yet? because mine sure is!
There are four main components to making this recipe amazing:
- Cauliflower Meatballs: our delicious cauliflower meatball made with brown rice, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasonings. Fried or baked to crispy golden perfection.
- Roasted Campari Tomatoes: juicy, bright red, sliced campari tomatoes roasted in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Creamy Alfredo Sauce: thick cauliflower alfredo sauce poured on top of each ball, smothering the sandwich with cheesy, creamy goodness.
- Toasted Garlic Bread: each piece of bread is lightly toasted, rubbed with fresh garlic cloves and brushed with melted vegan butter or olive oil.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Feel free to make adjustments on toppings, like spreading some vegan mayonnaise, using marinara sauce instead of alfredo, adding caramelized onions, mushrooms, or arugula. You can even add melted vegan cheese on top, too! It’s a versatile recipe that is truly delicious.
If you make this recipe, tag us on Instagram @pastabased or leave a comment below.
100% plant-based meatball heroes on toasted garlic bread with juicy, roasted campari tomatoes, creamy alfredo sauce, and crispy cauliflower "meatballs."
- 16 vegan cauliflower meatballs
- vegan alfredo sauce
- 1 pound roasted campari tomatoes
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter or olive oil
First, prepare vegan cauliflower meatballs, vegan alfredo sauce, and roasted campari tomatoes. Set aside.
Preheat oven to broil. Lay hoagie rolls open-face on a baking sheet and toast until the edges start to brown. Remove from oven. Cut tip off of garlic clove and rub onto the top side of each toasted hoagie. Brush on melted vegan butter or olive oil on the inside of the toasted hoagie. Layer roasted tomatoes, vegan cauliflower meatballs, and vegan alfredo sauce. Serve warm.*
- This recipe makes 4 meatball subs with 4 vegan cauliflower meatballs per sandwich, although this depends on the size of the bread you choose.
- Warm the alfredo sauce in a small saucepan before adding to the sandwich.
- You may also warm the sandwich together in the oven at 350°F (176°C) for 5 minutes, keeping an eye on it so the bread doesn't get too crunchy.