It’s day three of the What We Ate In A Day series in celebration of Veganuary!
Once you get comfortable with eating plant-based, you’ll notice that you will keep specific items in your kitchen at all times. It could take a few weeks to figure out what you like to eat, what your favorite brands are, what your go-to meals are, etc…
Here is a short list of things we often have in our kitchen, including some of our favorite snacks to buy at the store:
Items we always have in the kitchen:
- Nutritional Yeast
- Raw cashews
- Unsweetened plant milk (almond, rice, soy…)
- Beans, canned or dry – our favorites are kidney beans, cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, and black beans
- Rice (brown because it’s more nutritious) and pasta (obvi)
- Lentils, red and green/brown
- Coconut oil
- Coconut cream, stored in the refrigerator
- Vegan butter like Earth Balance
- Dairy-free creamer for coffee
- Lots of your favorite veggies!
Our favorite snacks:
- Dairy-free chocolate chips from Enjoy Life for cookies!
- Dairy-free ice cream. Our favorites are So Delicious Dairy Free and Nada Moo!
- Roasted chickpeas and homemade kale chips
- Cocomels and any vegan chocolate bars
- Harvest Snaps, we just discovered their Mango Habanero flavor and it’s sooo good!
- Hummus with fresh veggies, pretzels, or warm pita bread
- Vegan Jerky like this one from Louisville Vegan Jerky Co.
- Califia Farms Cold Brew Coffee – I’m addicted to their Cocoa Noir
- Hail Merry tarts (the Persian Lime tart is our favorite!)
I’m going to stop there for the sake of keeping this short because TRUST ME, there are many more snacks we can think of but we would probably be here forever. Some people think vegans are deprived of delicious snacks but those people obviously need glasses. It’s easy to just read the labels before purchasing or consuming something. I mean, even Oreos are vegan!
Most labels have an allergen section that will say in big, bold letters “CONTAINS MILK AND EGGS” but really, just skim through the label. The only other ingredient that you might want to avoid other than the obvious is food coloring additives because they are sometimes tested on animals.
Here’s our list of things we ate today:
For breakfast, I grabbed a Kite Hill almond yogurt and a hemp milk latte on my way to work. I love Kite Hill’s key lime flavor, my second favorite is their vanilla. Matt likes all their flavors. It can get a little pricey to buy them all the time so it’s a once in a while treat. Also, if you’ve never had a latte with hemp milk – do it! you’re welcome.
Matt picked up a Bolthouse Smoothie at 7-11. There aren’t many stores close to where he works so he makes due with whatever he can find. (Notice that sweet wooden watch I got Matt for Christmas 😜)
For lunch, Matt got his favorite combination from Which Wich, a sandwich chain. He orders the black bean patty with the works! He puts like a million toppings on this sandwich, seriously. Peppers, onions, olives, oregano, spinach, tomatoes, hummus, avocado, pickles, black pepper, oil and vinegar, the list goes on….
For me, I stopped at Chipotle and ordered two veggie tacos with guacamole. The guacamole doesn’t cost extra when you order the veggies. It does, however, cost more if you get the sofritas option.
For dinner, we had more leftovers from when we made lasagna on day one.
Thanks for reading along with us. We hope you learned something in this post! What are your favorite kitchen essentials and vegan snacks? Let us know in the comments.
Matt and Steph